Sunday, December 9, 2007

It is SO not the Season!

Every year around this time I seem to forget that I have lived all but 5 of my 40 years on the Texas Gulf Coast. Why do I bother feeling disenchanted when I already know what is coming? I know that rain is more likely than snow. I know that my one and only Christmas sweater will probably not see the light of day unless I am going ice skating at the mall or turn my A/C down to 40 just so I can wear it. And I know that by the end of the season I will be so sick of hearing "Winter Wonderland" and "White Christmas" I will shudder within the first 3 bars. This morning, it was in the 70s and we were singing "In the Bleak Midwinter" which includes the line "snow upon snow" - like that is going to happen here! (Come to think of it, did it happen in Bethlehem? Does anybody out there know?)

So here is my contribution to the caroling list. I'm not sure when I learned this, but I think of it every year while Christmas shopping in my shorts, sandals, and t-shirt.

(try it to the White Christmas tune) and a 1 and a 2 and a...
I'm dreaming of a pink & purple-polka-dotted Christmas

Just like the ones I've never seen

Where the tree tops glisten, and children listen

To hear cowbells in the rain.


I'm dreaming of a pink & purple-polka-dotted Christmas

With every Christmas card I write:

May your days be merry and bright!

And may all your Christmases be pink & purple-polka-dots-on-white.



Oh, well. I guess you had to be there ;)

No comments: