Saturday, November 3, 2007

A-Quilting We Will Go ...

The International Quilt Festival is here this weekend and even if you don't quilt, it is an awesome thing to see. I must write quickly and revisit later with pics since I have yet to get ready to leave and have only an hour. Going to Quilt Festival has been something of a tradition for many years. I first attended with my mom who is an avid and quite talented quilter. When I married ten years ago, my husband attended with us and it has continued since.
There is so much to see and we only have about 4 hours this year so I must have a strategy!
  1. I will not drink anything, and that includes my usual daily intake of about 32 - 44 oz of vanilla diet Coke - I know, but I hate drinking water! This should eliminate any need to stand in line for the bathroom. That saves a lot of time even though George R. Brown allows the majority of the men's bathrooms to be converted due to the overwhelming female majority in attendance. I, personally, have not been quite gutsy or desperate enough to go that route yet. Not even when I was pregnant. I'm afraid I would have to plant a fern in the self-watering ceramic pot on the wall or something equally unwelcome to the maintenance team. I digress!
  2. I will eat something light on the way, like crackers, and take some gum or other minty non-food in with me so my body will believe it does not need to eat until after 7p.m. no matter how good the food smells. I have a horrible weakness for the glazed cashews that are vended at the back of the exhibit area. No fair, I say, all food aromas should be constrained to the upstairs area! I need that money for fiber.
  3. I will, as usual, take mental snapshots of the gorgeous exhibit items without stopping to study them in detail. This is totally unfair to the wonderful artists who have put their souls into these works, but four hours is four hours and the place is HUGE.
  4. We are on a serious budget. 'Nuff said about that, I don't want to be a downer. Anyway, after many years of experience I have learned to buy it when I see it. Did I mention this place is HUGE. I remember frantically searching for the previously seen pattern, ribbon, fabric, t-shirt... Oh,don't make me go on - it is too painful ...near closing time only to leave without it because after a little while all the rows look the same. Each row of booths is packed with vendors with their very best out for show, touch, pet, drool... snap out of it, froggie! So my advice is: if you think you want it, buy it when you see it. That booth will somehow magically vanish when you try to find it again. The following addendum to that philosophy for this year;
  5. I will collect website addresses, business cards, brochures, notes. With the time and budget limitations, I just cannot impulse buy today. Sob! So I will collect connections so I can shop later or direct others who wish to shop for me. Sneaky, huh?
Well, I now have about 25 minutes to shower, dress, and get my travel knitting together. What? I can have my fabric and knit yarn, too!

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Some seriously good hints on how to attend anything that is hours long in a big arena.
WGAScribe