Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The tree in the corner

There is no denying the holiday season is officially underway. I survey the evidence - dusty boxes have descended from the attic to take over the living room until Easter. Yes, Easter. I'm only being realistic. Once upon a time, the goal was to pack up Christmas and return to our normal living arrangements just after the first of the year. In our family, though, we have several January birthdays and generally we are exhausted and ready to kick back for a bit once all the excitement is over. Later, the goal was moved back to Epiphany. But, seriously, who keeps up with when that actually occurs other than our pastor? Some of our calendars don't even note the day. Before you know it, Valentine's Day has come and gone and really, all the red left over from Christmas goes well with pink hearts and white carnations. St. Patrick's Day offers no motivation since the tree is green. So, yes, I think Easter is realistic. And if we don't make it by then, well, what better place to hunt for eggs than among the ornaments and lights?

"What's stitching for the holidays?" you may wonder. I am still (read: Will I ever finish this thing?) knitting the mate to my husband's sock. It is going well but getting tedious considering I could have knit another 2 pair in the time I have taken to redo this one so many times. This, however, is not a gift project. I am knitting legwarmers, but they are not a gift, either. No, I am not knitting gifts this year. I am crocheting. Don't get too excited. The whole of my holiday gift stitching will take a whopping 2 evenings.

I am making Julie A. Bolduc's Pretty Snowflake from JPF Crochet Club for each of the children in our family. We have agreements with each branch of the family that gift exchanges will be for the children only. With 8 nieces and nephews and 2 children, that is enough. This year each of the children will receive a handmade snowflake ornament and a bit of cash. I want to make this a tradition. My hope is that by giving them each an ornament they will have a start for their first Christmas decorating on their own - do you remember decorating your first tree?

As for the cash, I was raised with an understanding that cash was not as thoughtful a gift as something that was chosen especially for the recipient. As an aunt and mom, though, I observe that monetary gifts at birthdays and Christmas are always well-received. As we go shopping with the accumulated loot, we talk of what the gift-giver might like to give and what the recipient will truly gain some enjoyment from. As it turns out, handled properly, cash is a very thoughtful gift afterall. Besides, how in the world can one possibly keep up with what others' children want, need, or already have? Now, if I could get us all on track with nice hand-written Thank You notes ... yeah, right.

No comments: